Monday, October 5, 2009

Homemade Pretzels


I keep trying to improve my dough skills, working with yeast and trying to figure out the right way to prepare and knead a successful dough. This time I tried Pretzels. The recipe was simple and quick to mix together. However, there were a couple problems...
1. I was severely challenged when it came to rolling out even ropes of dough. My first pretzel looked massively over-sized and deformed. Luckily my mom came to the rescue with her fantastic rolling skills.
2. The "pretzels" tasted great, however they tasted more like a roll then a pretzel. I still haven't figured out where I went wrong with that.

All in all, I am impressed with the appearance of my first batch of pretzels, we ate them with my mom's homemade chicken noodle soup. Delicious.


Homemade Pretzels
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

Makes about 12 pretzels

- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/8 tsp active yeast
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour

- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp baking soda

-kosher salt
- 2-4 tbsp butter, melted

Sprinkle yeast into warm water and stir to dissolve. Add sugar and salt and stir to dissolve. Add flour and knead dough until smooth and elastic. Let dough rise for at least 30 minutes.

While dough rises prepare a water bath, whisking the baking soda into 2 cups warm water. Be sure to stir often.

After dough has risen, pinch off bits of the dough and roll into a long rope (about 1/2 inch thick or less) and then shape. Dip pretzel into soda water solution and place on a greased baking sheet. Allow the pretzels to rise once more. Bake on 450 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush pretzels with melted butter and sprinkle with salt.


No comments:

Post a Comment