Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Apple Pie Disaster and White Chocolate Cocoa Cookies

Yesterday was a bad baking day for me. I tried to make my first ever pie and not just any pie, my Grandma's Apple Pie. Attempt one, I followed the directions exactly and the crust would not come together. Attempt two, I used even more precise measuring and I was still unable to make a crust that rolled out. Pie crust is either the most challenging thing in the baking world or my Grandma was a God and pie genius.

In the end I smashed pieces of my failed pie dough into a pan forming the crust I was unable to achieve by rolling. I didn't have enough dough left over for the top, so I decided to make a crumble - nothing like my Grandma's recipe. Up until this point I've been doing really well with my baking endeavors. When I attempt something, most of the time it has worked. After this pie fiasco I am feeling very discouraged - I would appreciate any and all help from the pie makers in the family.

At least the apples tasted good...


The worst Apple Pie in Mack Family history.

On the upside, I know I can still make good cookies. Here is a recipe for cocoa cookies with white chocolate chips. They remind me of the Otis Spunkmeyer cookies I used to enjoy at lunch EVERYDAY in high school.


White Chocolate Cocoa Cookies

1/2 cup of butter
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup of flour
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 package of PC White Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. Cream softened butter and brown sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla mixing until completely incorporated. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the white chocolate chips. Drop cookies onto a silpat or parchment paper and flatten with hand before baking. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool on baking sheet before removing.

2 comments:

  1. Krissel-I can help you with the pie crust! I was lucky enough to get a tutorial from granny herself:) By far one of my favorite memories! I am moving into my new place today + want to start contributing once I am not living out of a suitcase any more. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris -

    Would you like some of these fresh baked cookies?? (talk about awkward)

    - This is such a great idea for a blog... Great job!! Miss you :)

    Brig

    ReplyDelete