Saturday, October 17, 2009

Banana Crumb Muffins


It was a wake and bake morning here in Chicago. Enjoying some intelligentsia coffee we needed something warm to go with it. I just got some new muffin cups and have been dying to make something with them. I would've liked to make blueberry muffins but I didn't have any and I was definitely not interested in going out in the cool morning air.

The muffins turned out great, full of flavor with a wonderfully crunchy top. I should have cooked them a little longer to give them more crumbliness, noted for next time.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Saturday! Enjoy.


Banana Crumb Muffins
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cups sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted

Crumb topping
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine sugar and melted butter. Add the egg and mashed bananas and mix until combined. Add in the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fill muffin cups.

To make the crumb topping add all the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Cut the cold butter into the mixture until a crumbly consistency forms. Sprinkle on top of the muffins and bake for 18-25 minutes.

Bakers Note:
I added a sprinkling of nutmeg and cinnamon in my flour mixture, I would have added vanilla extract but ran out yesterday making cake and buttercream frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment