Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Blueberry Scones

I never thought I liked scones until I moved across the street from Sweet Mandy's B's Bakery and enjoyed the most delicious chocolate chip scone EVER made. It was a day of both happiness and regret, I was hooked.

My addiction caused the onset of anonymous phone calls from my apartment asking if there were any scones left. Shamefully this occurred just about every Saturday and Sunday morning throughout my college career. As my downward spiral of addiction continued I developed feelings of dislike for a nice Lincoln Park pregnant woman. Let me explain... an inside source told us there was a pregnant lady who came to snatch all the scones every Sunday morning at the crack of dawn. And obviously my roommates and I were exhausted from all the umm... studying we had done the night before that we never made it before preggers and her unborn scone hording baby.

But, now I can now make my own scones and I have happily moved past this dark period. I opted to make blueberry scones mainly because my grandpa (potchie) hates chocolate and he claimed he had never tried a "schone" before. These were really, really delicious. I've tried another recipe that used buttermilk but this one tasted the most like the coveted SMB's scone.

Don't think I'm a freak, I just really enjoy breakfast pastries.


Blueberry Scones
adapted from The Kitchen Magpie Blog

Ingredients
-1 cup sour cream
-1 tsp baking soda
-4 cups all purpose flour
-1 cup white sugar
-2 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries
-1 cup butter or margarine
-1 egg, slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl add baking soda to sour cream and mix together, allow the baking soda to react. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture (this will take a while to break up all the butter and to create and flaky dough). Once the flour/butter mixture is ready add in the sour cream and the egg. Mix well and then fold in the fruit. Divide the dough into three circles and then cut into six pieces. Bake the scones until the bottoms are golden brown.

Baker's Note*
My dough was a little dry so I added a touch of cream to make it more compact for circle forming. I also sprinkled sparkling sugar on top before I baked them.






No comments:

Post a Comment