Sunday, September 27, 2009
Did I mention that I reallllllly like chocolate? This is the from scratch version of this delicious treat; if you are in a time crunch, you can use a boxed brownie mix to whip these up in no time.
Marbled Cheesecake Brownies
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
- 1 stick (1/2 cup or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese, well softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Make brownie batter:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Heat butter and chocolate in a 3-quart heavy saucepan, whisking occasionally, just until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in sugar, eggs, vanilla, and a pinch of salt until well combined. Whisk in flour until just combined and spread in baking pan.
Make Cheesecake batter:
Beat together cheesecake ingredients, then dollop over brownie mix. Using a knife swirl the cheesecake mixture into the brownie batter to create the marbled effect. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.
Bake until center is set and edges of brownies are slightly puffed - about 35 minutes.
Let brownies cool completely before cutting, these are best served cold.