Sunday, October 17, 2010

apple cranberry crisp


In keeping with the theme from my last post (which was in August... oops), I have been focusing on recipes that require very few ingredients and simple techniques- without sacrificing any flavor. Being that we are in the height of apple season, I ran out to the market this morning and picked up the freshest organic fruit I could find to make these easy yet delicious Apple Cranberry Crisps.

Ready in a mere 45 minutes and relatively healthy (until the ice cream gets placed on top, yum), these Apple Cranberry Crisps are a perfect five-spoonful treat for a Sunday evening curled up on the couch.

Apple Cranberry Crisp
adapted from here

Ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch diced pieces
1 cup fresh (or frozen) cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
zest and juice of 1 orange

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 8 inch pan or six 5 ounce ramekins and set aside.
2. For the topping, combine butter, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Mash ingredients together well with hands until the mixture becomes crumbly. Add in pecans and set aside.
3. Toss apples, cranberries, sugar, zest and juice together in a bowl. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan(s). Sprinkle topping evenly over the fruit. Bake until bubbly and the apples and cranberries are tender (about 30 minutes).
4. Let the crisp cool slightly. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream on top.

4 comments:

  1. Looks deelish! And I like the new background color :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first visit to your blog and no pun intended, but it's really sweet! I love the idea of "family" blogging. I'll be back! When you have a moment please "visit" me in New England, I love company and new Followers are very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you aren't letting Dan do all the cooking. They look good. I only have 100 apples to use. Terra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just came across your blog and I love the idea of three of you blogging from different cities! Will be popping back from time to time to see what you guys have been baking up :)

    I have a give away over at my blog, you should pop along and enter if you fancy winning a gourmet advent calender!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete