Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cookie Crazy


Lately I have been cookie obsessed. I've been trying to create a buttery, caramely, brown sugary cookie base for the perfect chocolate chip cookie. I've tried many recipes including Cook's Illustrated "The Perfect Chocolate Chip", Alton Brown's "The Chewy" and variations of the "The Puffy". I've changed and doctored the classic Toll House recipe, gave the Baked NYC cookie a whirl and tried the New York Times Chocolate Chip by Jacque Torres. I agree that good things come to those who wait, but waiting 24 hours to eat a cookie that you wanted yesterday is too much.

After many hours of baking, lot's of dough scooping, cookie eating + constructive feedback I finally made my perfect chocolate chip. My family, friends + co-workers have all approved. Not only have I used the batter for chocolate chips but I tried white chocolate chips, cookies + cream (with crushed oreos) and a cookie with pretzels and toffee. Although I can't share this new secret recipe (in hopes that it will be a top seller in a non-existent future business) but I will provide a few helpful ideas for your own cookie adaptations.

1. Brown the butter, this makes for a rich, caramel-like flavor
2. Use bread flour, not only bread flour but a combination with all-purpose flour.
3. Use dark brown sugar + lots of it. I increased the amount of brown sugar in my recipe over granulated, it provides a better texture + flavor.
4. Add both milk chocolate + semi-sweet chocolate chips.
5. Salt, use it. As Dorie Greenspan said, "You can't underestimate the importance of salt in sweet baked goods."
6. Always, always use parchment or a silpat. Nobody likes a cookie scraped off a pan leaving behind melty chocolate delight.

3 comments:

  1. There really isn't anything quite like biting into the perfect chocolate chip cookie. I'm glad you've found yours. Judging from the picture-YUM :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prim- these look fabulousa, I can't wait till we live close again + I can taste test all your goodies!

    ReplyDelete