Monday, December 21, 2009

Cookie Six: Chocolate Dipped Shortbread


I'm a very big fan of shortbread cookies, these however are much different then other shortbread I've made. As I was perusing allrecipes.com looking for some holiday baking inspiration I came across these "melt in your mouth shortbread cookies", a highly rated recipe. My mom looooved them, I thought they were a little dry by themselves so I made them more festive by dipping them in chocolate and sprinkling them with either crushed peppermint or toffee bits, everything is better with chocolate. Enjoy.

Shortbread Cookies
adapted from allrecipes.com

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Whip butter with an electric mixer until fluffy. Stir in the confectioners' sugar, cornstarch, and flour. Beat on low for one minute, then on high for 3 to 4 minutes. Drop cookies by spoonfuls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Watch that the edges don't brown too much. Cool on wire racks. Once cooled, dip into melted chocolate and sprinkle with toffee bits or crushed peppermint (I liked the toffee ones better).

*Baker's note: my cookies only baked for about 10 minutes, the edges browned very quickly- so keep an eye on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment